Eucalyptus is one of my favourite essential oils to diffuse in the house.
Often mixed with lemon, lime, orange and/or peppermint, the invigorating citrus blend refreshes the air, clears the sinuses and adds a sense of vibrant contentment to our home. I generally throw that mix together each morning to start the day.
For a many years, brands like Vicks VapoRub (aka Vick’s Magic Croup Salve 1905), eucalyptus essential oil has been added to products to aid with cold and cough symptoms. The company also markets that is eases minor aches and pains.
But long before that it was harvested and used by the First Peoples of Australia for a variety of applications.
From using the oil to sooth a sore back to making a basket with the bark, eucalyptus oil is also well known for its antiviral and antibacterial properties.
Some other notable practices for it are:
- Using the oil to treat asthma and stuffy noses
- Adding it into a spray as a bug/tick repellant
- Commonly applied to the skin to help soothe skin ulcers and arthritis
- Diluted oil can be used to treat infections and promote healing of wounds
- Used to help breathe more easily and loosen mucus
Always ensure your essential oils are pure and of highest grade/quality. It pays to pay premium for these either through a Young Living or Do-Terra rep, at Saje (the store) or certain brands at the health food market.
Enjoy and happy breathing,